Thursday, July 17, 2008

R.I.P. Michael Turner

MAN, I had no idea...Michael Turner passed on Friday June 27th, 2008. I was in the middle of adding one of my favorite artists, Humberto Ramos, to my links list when one if his entries dropped a bomb all the way from June 30. I'm just glad I had a chance to meet him. He did the cover for the famous JLA: Identity Crisis, a good one for Marvel: Civil War, and a chunk of pencils for the awesome Superman/Batman comics. Of course this is only a chip off his span of work...

Whenever a great artist dies, no matter what the medium, they take their unique artistic flair with them. It is because of this that they are missed so much by so many who never knew them. I remember standing in line at WonderCon, waiting for him to sign my Supergirl comic, when I noticed he had a shaved head. He didn't quite look like the photo. I asked someone in front of me and was informed that he was fighting cancer. Even then, as I shook his hand, I didn't expect that to be the last time I'd see him. Still, it'll always be a great memory. Catch you on the flipside, Mr. Turner!

1 comment:

JMY said...

Its kinda funny, I found out while watching adult swim... I had thought it was a joke but when I searched the internet to see if the news was truth I was shocked that he died, he was one of my favorite artist too.